New ultra-thin double-glazing for sash windows in period homes
82% more efficient than traditional single glazing
For a more comfortable home, simply retrofit ultra-thin Pilkington Spacia™ double-glazing into your existing sash window frames.
- 82% better than standard single glazing
- World’s thinnest profile 6.5 mm (¼”)
- Virtually eliminates draughts, cold spots and internal condensation
- Greatly reduces noise levels for a quieter home
- Successfully used in Japan for over 15 years
- Full 15-year guarantee
Pilkington Spacia™ is a revolutionary new glazing product that’s no wider than standard single glazing yet boasts the thermal performance of triple glazing.
Pilkington Spacia™ can be easily retrofitted into your existing window frames – usually within one working day.
Little or no redecoration is required.* What’s more, the historic appearance of period homes is unaffected.
*Subject to survey – some minor repainting may be required depending on your frame type, but this will be confirmed on survey.
The Benefits of Pilkington Spacia™
- Six times more efficient than standard single glazing
- As original frames are reused, little or no redecorating is required – subject to survey
- Maintains authentic appearance of period homes
- Reduced heating bills and lower carbon emissions
- Virtually eliminates all draughts, cold spots and internal condensation
- Noise levels greatly reduced for a quieter home
- Full 15-year warranty
- The perfect solution for most sash windows
How does Pilkington Spacia™ compare?
In order to achieve the same U-value as Pilkington Spacia™ a double-glazed unit would need to be 20 mm thick, compared to 6.5 mm.
How Pilkington Spacia™ and EnerGlaze work
With the industry’s thinnest profile, Pilkington SpaciaTM offers double-glazing comfort in a single-glazing width. This allows for improved thermal efficiency in period buildings, with a negligible impact on the historic appearance.
- The only double-glazed unit that can be glazed into all standard astragals.
- Can be glazed into all existing single-glazing glass rebates.
- The thinnest double-glazed unit in the world
- Revolutionary vacuum technology
- Successfully used in Japan for 15 years
Independent research proves Pilkington Spacia is the best retrofit glazing for period homes
In 2009/2010 Changeworks, led a project in Edinburgh, in which single-glazing products and their thermal performance was measured in situ by Glasgow Caledonian University. The project was funded by the City of Edinburgh Council and Historic Scotland and supported by the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust and Lister Housing CoOperative. The project results showed that replacing single-glazed with slim profile double glazing can significantly improve the thermal performance of historic timber windows, whilst retaining their joinery work.
Case Study: St. Gerard's School, Bray
The building pre-dates the school itself and is more than 150 years old. On all sides of the building, and on both floors, are large, sliding sash windows.
As a result of the windows, energy-efficiency was very low, as Tom Geraghty, the school’s Headmaster explains: “While it is a very beautiful building, it was also expensive to heat, and difficult to keep warm during the colder months of the year – at least, not without intensive heating.